mobilizing against climate change
Protect Our Winters
Unite & Mobilize Outdoor Enthusiasts Against Climate Change
Protect Our Winters helps passionate outdoor people protect the places and lifestyles they love from climate change. Founded in 2007 by professional snowboarder Jeremy Jones, Protect Our Winters is a community of athletes, scientists, creatives and business leaders advancing non-partisan policies that protect our world today and for future generations.
Their goal is to achieve carbon neutrality by 2050 by focusing on the following:
RENEWABLE ENERGY. CARBON PRICING. ELECTRIFIED TRANSIT. PUBLIC LANDS.
- CARBON PRICING: Carbon pricing incentivizes practices that reduce emissions, making fossil fuels more expensive and creating opportunities to use more clean energy sources.
- RENEWABLE ENERGY: A renewable energy economy will significantly reduce our reliance on fossil fuels and curb greenhouse gas emissions.
- ELECTRIFYING TRANSIT: Transportation produced the most greenhouse gas emissions in the U.S. in 2017. Strong advocacy to transform transportation can reduce those emissions.
- PUBLIC LANDS: Fossil fuel extraction on our public lands is a massive contributor to our country’s greenhouse gas emissions. POW is working to keep fossil fuel extraction out of the places we love.
They aim to enable meaningful climate policies, and shift cultural norms to make these policies durable by utilizing the following tactics:
- Turn outdoor lovers into a community of advocates
- Provide opportunities for advocacy
- Build a movement to shift cultural norms